31 October 2013

DIY Organization Projects #4 Results and #5: Wall Letter Trays

Organization Project #4 (OP4)

Organization Project #4 is finished and assembled, but I haven't figured out how I want to, or if I want to, glue it down to a peice of cardboard for further stability. Update on this later.

Organization Project #5 (OP5)

Since I do some supplemental homeschooling, I need some place that each child can have their stash of supplies. The biggest item being dry-erase place mats that they practice their handwriting on. Cursive for the older girl, print for the younger boy with terrible handwriting. These mats are quite large; 12" x 15".

The Search

During a search for magazine racks, I came across this fabulous quick and easy bathroom magazine rack at Living Off Love and Coffee. Quick and easy and can hang on the wall. But not quite our style. Size is also a factor. I would have to search high and low for a basket large enough and hope I can find two.
DIY Magazine Rack (Click link for exact page.)
I remembered seeing the wire mesh letter trays at Walmart. They stack together if you need more than one, but I wasn't sure if the mesh was big enough to put string through. Something like this, but without the multiple sections.
Walmart.com
I also found this cute one in pink by Aurora.
Just one problem. It's pink! The boy isn't going to like pink!

I loved the simplicity and it looked like I could make it myself. There are endless possibilities for the covering with what was available in my home.

The Design

This had possibilities since I could make it any size I needed. To the Drawing Board! (I apologize for the horrible pictures. The only camera I have is on my phone.)

Blueprint

I sketched out the design. Hash lines designate equal values. Then I just measured the placemat and determined what lengths I needed. For mine I made it 12" wide with a 2" depth. The back section is 15" tall, while the front is 4". Due to the corrugated cardboard I used, the dimensions are slightly bigger. The holes and lines across are for the string to hold items in place.

The Process

Since I work in retail I can get boxes of whatever size I need provided I get them before the compactor or recycling bins claim them. I had a big box that had held a large ottoman. Measured and cut out the right size and then measured off my lines. I drew them in pencil, but then went over them in Sharpie so they can be seen in the picture. My little boy helper holding it up for me:
I also wrote in pencil over the lines which
were cut lines and which were fold.
The angled lines were not necessary, but I thought about how often 90 degree corners get dog eared around here, so I just eliminated them. The ones at the bottom turned out to be not necessary and more of a hassle than anything.

Since I used corrugated cardboard, folding was going to be difficult on cross-grain lines. The grain on these is going across the width not height. Using a box cutter, I used several passes on the CUT lines to go all the way through. On the fold lines, cut the top layer and the corrugated layer, but not the bottom layer.

Don't worry about your marks as they will be covered with the material of your choice.
"Eye" See You!
At this point, I stopped and cut out my second one. Now that I knew the how-to's, it went much quicker and smoother.

I folded one up to verify that it would fit.


Now for the covering. I found some fabric in my stash that was just enough to cover every surface on both boxes but the back. Since I will be hanging them on the wall just outside their bedrooms, this is perfect. Using Elmer's Spray Adhesive in a well ventilated area, I trimmed and cut and applied. 





Now comes the tricky parts. Which parts do I cut away so I don't have massive amounts of extra fabric?


 To glue down the front of the bottom, I had to switch to Fabric Stitch as an adhesive. Elmer's just wasn't cutting it. You also have to start putting it together at this point. Because the Elmer's wasn't holding it together, I added a paper fastener under the last layer of fabric. Poked it right through and bent it on the inside of the pocket.


End Result of the front bottom glue down.


String Time! I used a hole punch and brute strength to punch in the holes. Using a spare set of shoelaces from a shoe I bought, I strung it through, tied the ends (not too tight!), and Walla!

The Final Result
Need I say any more than this picture? The place mat is quite snug as I forgot to allow for the laminated edge, but it's quite better than it flopping around in there. It also slows down the ADD kids when putting supplies away. Each child also has a folder for passwords, accounts, book lists, etc. I can also deliver mail since both have adult pen pals like former teachers and relatives who moved away.


Each child has a dry erase board right outside their bedroom door with the days of the week, what their chores & priorities are, doctor's appointments for the week, library book due dates, etc. The older girl also has two spots labelled "This Month" and "Next Month". All their information in one place. If something is going on at school like a try-out, she adds it to her board. If we make them doctor's appointments, they know to look at the board first. I also have a family calendar hanging near these boards as a master copy should parts of their boards get erased accidentally.

These bins will go right underneath the boards. The younger boy has a dry erase marker clip attached to his board. Since the older girl does not have this, I'm taking an old pair of jeans that do not fit the younger boy and using the back pockets as a front pocket on the bins. You can put the children's names on them, embellish them anyway you like. I made the front of the bin quite large for this purpose.

Attaching these to the wall is the next step, but I leave it up to you how best to attach it to your wall.

Enjoy!
~Her Royal Pinkness, Elizabeth I

No comments: