03 January 2019

Blogging, Vlogging, and the vlogbrothers

(Originally posted to Mom on a Narrow Path blog on Weebly, now deleted.)

We all know someone who blogs. We may even know someone who vlogs. Some stay in a level of low notoriety, and others become famous. Some even become famous because of activity other than their internet work. Some maintain a large following, though not in the mainstream.

John and Hank Green did not come to my attention through John's novel The Fault in our Stars. Nor was I aware of NerdFighters or VidCon. No, I found the brothers by looking up videos for summer homeschooling my children in the spring of 2014. To say I was pleasantly surprised by their vast knowledge is an understatement of the highest order. To find out that the hoopla surrounding the novel was a result of one of my favorite famous nerds writing it was indeed a moment of "Woah! Small World!"

To be completely fair, I like the overboard way in which the brothers talk, explaining their topics in a fashion that keep you interested. And interesting it is, if you're into that sort of thing. Which of course I am.

Where I came from, there were not many farm-girl geeks. I am not by any means saying that farm-girls are dumb. Far from it! But there are not many true nerdy, geeky, smart farm-girls in my neck of the woods when I was growing up.

Seriously. How many D&D dice-throwing, dungeon mastering, story-telling, World of Warcraft addicted, Magic the Gathering playing, computer techy, cow-milking, hay-throwing, trivia buff, Wonder Woman obsessed cowgirls do you know?!? Probably none. Well, except me now, of course.

What I want to share at this time is that as parents we are often blown away by the subjects that our children are learning in school. If my son struggles with a specific subject and I haven't a clue about the topic, I head over to Crash Course on YouTube and see if they've covered it, especially in the realm of history and "social studies". Trust me. Crash Course is exactly what it sounds like and every nugget of information in their videos is verifiable if necessary. Feel out of depth with your child's history homework? Get a Crash Course in the topic and go from there.

No comments: