27 August 2019

Dollar Tree Haul: August 27, 2019

The Background

Over the course of viewing tons of YouTube videos and reading DIY craft blogs over the past couple years, and all around idea steali--, er borrowing, I've realized just how valuable the Dollar Tree store really is. Don't get me wrong- I can't get all my crafting supplies at DT. Obviously 12x12 decorative papers and cardstocks aren't exactly high on the demand list there. And let's face some facts: You get what you pay for at Dollar Tree. Cheap in price does actually sometimes mean cheap in quality too.

But let's face another fact. Dollar and bargain stores often have items you won't find anywhere else. My son wanted a lanyard for his school ID. He also told me he needed a red pen for Spanish class and I was plum fresh out. So to the Dollar Tree we go!

The Sticker Haul

I used to hate stickers. If you stuck them on your clothes, they were gone forever in less than a day. If you stuck them on papers or notebook covers, they'd be lost when the notebook was damaged or the cover was torn off. I do still have my very first clipboard with it's chipped corners and sticker covered surface, but half of the fuzzy stickers have lost their fuzziness or I ripped them off and some of the foiled ones that I sent away for as a child (I really miss the Free Stuff for Kids books) have peeled up so I pulled them off. As a result, papers stick to the leftover stickiness and the surface of the clipboard is also no longer smooth enough to write on. And in the world of scrapbooking, I thought you needed to use those 12x12 protector sheets and then 3D stickers were just kind of pointless because the sheet wouldn't stay flat or the stickers would be crushed. Or frankly, as bemoaned in a previous post, I couldn't find something that went well with the page I was doing.

But the joy of journaling with my new found talents and skills has given stickers a new life for me. All those stickers I have refused to use because I didn't want to damage them are creeping out of the woodwork. And Dollar Tree has some of the cutest and most beautiful stickers. And for $1 a set! YAS!!

I saw these at the last moment in the impulse area. They always get us with the impulse buys! And of course I couldn't pass up on Cacti, Nautica, and Foxes. I've always loved ships and whales and anchors and ship's wheels and dolphins and whales and seals and mariners and pirates... Well you get the drift. Ever since I was told that my great-grandmother was Apache, I've loved themes from the Southwest United States. And I don't know how or when, but foxes became my little not-so-secret-anymore favorite animal. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe because they look like a cross between cats and dogs? Who knows. I know you can't tell from the photo, but these stickers look translucent on the page, are 3D, and are as cute as buttons. And they reminded me of the stickers I picked up on the sticker aisle...

I love old glass. For a bit, my mother decided it would be "neat" and "fun" to stop drinking out of glasses and switch to Mason jars. That was most of high school when I was finally sick and tired of being a farm girl. I was determined that I wouldn't like Country music, that I wouldn't be stuck on a farm forever, and I was going to leave the country bumpkin life far, far, far behind. Funny how life brings you around to the beginning, no?

I also love the old glass bottles and jars with the old clamp lid. And I love that they are now back in style. I picked up some 2 oz. square bottles for my fresh ground coffee and loose tea. The seal means everything stays fresh longer and their size means I don't ground too much of anything at once. They also fit nicely into a K-cup shelf that fits snugly under the cabinet. I hate the amount of waste that goes into K-cups and the off-brands, so I avoid using them as often. Anyway. It gives an old Farmhouse Retreat feel to my life with these old clamp lids. I gotta look up the correct name of the clamp... I found it somewhere once... Anywhoo...

This of course leads me to the next part of my haul, in the educational section of the stationary aisle. USA stickers are always a must have for me. I may not always agree with what my country's leaders do, but I still believe in the founding principles of our founding fathers (And Mothers of course!!) As a child, Independance Day was my favorite holiday, my walls were dotted with American Flags, and my bedding was a carefully cultivated collection of Red, White, and Blue so that I would always be wrapped in the colors of my country.

I've been thinking about getting some of the novelty paper clips or making my own, and I have some scraps left from my "Swords and Horses" novel portfolio. You know the one I was talking about earlier? Setting inspired by early seasons of Game of Thrones? Yeah. I thought the bows would make a nice clip to put with those scraps as bookmarks in my writing pages instead of a traditional journal ribbon.

And who doesn't need more washi tape? This roll says "DO : Never Quit & DREAM Believe". It is NOT the best quality; I picked up two packs in the Jo-Ann's $1.99 Value Bins that are definitely better quality. But sometimes we just need those affirmations, ya know?

I've seen a couple tutorials about making small file folders out of bigger ones. All I have at home are manila and recycled. I figured 6 prettified ones for $2 would be a nice way to practice and start. I like the soothing patterns of mandalas and the flowers reminded me a bit of my Pfaltzgraff Garden Party place setting.

Worse case scenario, I've got more file folders for separating my 8.5x11 papers. LOL
And last but not least is getting 2 for $1 greeting cards. I of course have my Lepre-kitten in my 2019 BuJo, but they're not just good for decoration! Each of these little cards can be used as little inserts for my TN. I'm thinking about taking the one about a son and set it up for pictures of my son throughout high school. Especially since he just told me today he's interested in trying to try out for the track & field team! Say what? When did that become an interest. I know he missed Wildcat, but we just couldn't make it and rearrange our schedules all the time when he was 5. Part-time employed mommies don't always get to pick their schedule. At least not if they want to someday be promoted and get more hours to pay the bills. The other cards definitely spoke to me. And a black cat? Of course I can't turn down a black cat. I miss George. So very much. All my cats for sure. But Tigger (orange tiger), Mia (Himalayan Persian), and George (lanky black boy) the most.

So that's it for this day's haul. Check back for projects using the haul!

No comments: