12 May 2014

3rd Grade Assessments

(Originally posted to Narrow Path Home Study blog on Weebly, now deleted.)

Yesterday, the children took a 3rd grade assessment. To say I am disappointed would be a severe understatement. I do not blame the children per se. I blame the schools and my husband and I.

I have not graded Victoria's. Why? Let's get a little background. I have a little artist's easel purchased at Walgreens for $15 dollars last year. My husband found paper trays for a really good deal at Habitat for Humanity's ReStore. In the bottom portion of the easel, three of these paper trays fit perfectly. The top tray is Victoria's since she is taller. The middle is Alexander's since he's shorter. The bottom one is the "Turn In Tray" where anything they need to turn into us their "Teachers" or "Learning Coaches" goes. When I told her to turn in her assessment, she put it in the wrong tray. Am I being ridiculous expected her to put something in it's correct spot? Will high school teachers or college professors look around for everyone's tests or papers? Or will they expect the student to make sure items are turned in properly if they want the grade? She is 12 years old. In my opinion she should not still be able to use the excuse, "Well I didn't know." Alexander, aged 9 turned it into the correct tray. So what gives?

Alexander on the other hand failed 3/4 of the assessment. It was the 3rd grade assessment and he is finishing up the 3rd grade, so I was expecting a lower grade, but a 21% in Social Studies, a 13% in Science, and a 44% in Mathematics? As far as the Social Studies and Science, I have long ago realized that his elementary school does not focus on these subjects the way they should. I have still to go through the assessments and see where he has issues. I am also considering having him retake the assessment at the end of the week one on one. He currently has an F in his Writing portion, yet achieved a 82% on his assessment, so I'm not sure quite where to go with that. I also know that he is struggling with Multiplication and Division.

All in all, this gives me a place to start helping him. My biggest concern is his Core Study Skills which he answered only 6 out of 20 correctly. If a student does not understand where to find correct answers, how are they to learn or teach themselves? This is the first section we will tackle.

~Mom on a Narrow Path

No comments: