21 October 2019

Reading Challenge 2019 Update

I have thoroughly failed this year’s reading challenge. With 10 weeks left in 2019, there is no hope of reading 82 books... unless I read a bunch of children’s picture books... but really? I can’t stoop THAT low.

Granted, quite a large majority of the books I read are geared towards the YA crowd, but frankly, the stories are far more interesting usually. The stuff geared towards adults... ugh. So strict in genre adherence it’s gaggable. For example, I walked completely away from The Dresden Files this year; Harry just wasn’t Paul Blackthorn in written form. Sorry Jim Butcher. I just couldn’t keep going. Nonfiction is... *snore* what was I talking about again? Oh yeah. Books. I mentioned nonfiction didn’t I? Yup. That’ll make me snooze in a heartbeat.


Can’t seem to get into Patterson, although I have a bunch of his books courtesy of an aunt to my husband. And some Iris Johansen, come to think of it. They’re tucked away in the attic.

I could read comic books all day, but they’re entirely too short. I zip through them, even omnibus form. I need something of substance to tear my literary teeth into.

Which leaves me with anything by Rick Riordan, Kelley Armstrong’s Blackwell Pages (love, love, love, btw), the DC Icons series (Need More Pre-Origin Stories Like This!!), and pretty much anything that comes from the pen and mind of Sarah J. Maas.

I also have a hard time with science fiction. Which you would think was my favorite genre to read. I mean, do you know me at all? I’ve seen most of every Star Trek show and am attempting to start back at the beginning to watch every episode and every movie IN order, all the Roddenberry shows, or anything remotely close is also in the rotation to watch (Earth Final Conflict (completed), Andromeda (currently watching), Lexx, Firefly/Serenity, Farscape). I love, love, love science fiction. But READING it is hard. So again, I reiterate: LeVar Burton is not allowed to die. I get all my science fiction (and some other genres smooshed in occasionally) via his smooth reading voice. Because even if he insists on telling me that I don’t have to take his word for it, I always do.

Now if he can just narrate every science fiction novel out there so I can get through a single novel, that’d be great. Thanks.

Goodreads Reading Challenge 2019

No comments: