21 September 2019

45th Annual Johnny Appleseed Festival, 2019 Edition

Oh my goodness! It was a day!

I didn't snap photos today, although I intended to, but I couldn't even think about letting this gem pass by without sharing it.

This antique has quite a bit of wear and tear, but you know what? It's the freaking Santa Maria! As in 'the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria'! Yeah, yeah, yeah. Christopher Columbus was a royal jerk and he's the one primarily responsible for the rise of ethnic-based slavery in the Americas. But it's also a direct line between his supposed discovery of America and most of our American existence. Don't worry. At a price tag of $125, it definitely did not come home with us. I just had to share it.






The first year, maybe second year, my son and I started going to the Festival, we came across The Candlestickmaker tent and fell in love with the scents. Peg Fiechter had some left over Cranberry Chutney tarts and Bubby went to heaven. For whatever reason, it seems to help him when his anxiety overwhelms him. The following year, we went back and found her booth again. No Cranberry Chutney available, but we purchased some of her "Smelly-Jelly" in Lavender for Bubby and Lilac for me.

This year we opted for no smelly jelly, but we picked out 6 tarts (Cool Citrus & Basil, Love Spell, and Cool Water) and a small candle (Peppermint Stick) for Bubby. I still have tarts left from last year that I haven't melted yet. I also have the Cool Citrus & Basil, and Cool Water, along with Tangerine & Red Pepper and Lilac.

I was sorry to hear this year that they may not return next year. I get it though. Life becomes busy. And running to festivals to sell candles and travelling all over, picking and choosing which festivals to do and booth or vendor fees... Yeah. I get it. I asked if she might continue to make the candles and sell them online. She seemed to consider it. 

I have her card and shared it in the photo. The card shares her phone number and email. Trust me when I say that the scents are all amazing, last for-e-ver, and are a high quality candle product. I wish she had a website that lists what scents she can produce. Maybe she'll consider Etsy someday.

We hopped across the aisle to another lovely smell shop, Clean Craft Soapworks. We've stopped before, but haven't purchased anything, but this year, Bubby wanted that Peppermint Lotion Stick. So I sprung for the Honeysuckle for myself. I could have bought a lot more bars of soap, but I behaved myself.

I also saw homemade laundry soap and was wholly impressed that it is the same recipe I use. The only difference is the scent and soap bar combo. I shred Fels Naptha and use scent beads; Doris Peruski uses her scented soap recipe instead. This tells me that the laundry soap is amazing.

I make up enough to fill 4/5 of a 5 gallon bucket each year. All told it costs me between $40-$50, depending on prices and couponing of scent beads. All laundry except my husband's and stepdaughter's are washed in my soap and it lasts me all year. If hubby and daughter want to spend hundreds each year on expensive chemical liquid, more power to them. I'll stick with cheap, yet powerful, stuff that works great. Did I mention their clothes are dingy and mine looks nearly brand new, even years after purchase? Yup. Try it out for yourself. Don't want the learning curve of making it yourself? Order from Clean Craft Soapworks' website

Finally we came across a booth with beautiful leather journals. And of course, this is where my current obsession with TN's criss crosses with this year's Festival. I showed Bubby this beautiful red journal with a black dragon on the front. He immediately became interested, but upon opening it, didn't like the burned edges of the paper. He opted instead for this ship in wood grain journal. I mentioned to the guys my recent Midori obsession and I was interrupted... He interrupted me to ask if I had seen the Midori covers over there... the table he proceeded to point at. pointed to. "Oh no you didn't!" And I looked. And I fell in love. I picked up a pocket sized cover featuring a compass and the "Not all who wander are lost quote". Upon bringing it home, I found it perfectly fits the 2 month monthly/weekly combo inserts I've created to use next year.

The Etsy shop is on hiatus right now, but completely understandable considering I saw them at the festival today. Plus, they're local. I love shopping local. I clicked the favorite shop button and email me when they're back. Now I have two cover shops to obsess over. Ruh roh.

So that was the day. Coming soon is a new Dollar Tree Haul post and a review post/video for my chunky fauxdori cover (A5 Wide, no pockets, no pen loop, Bison Brown) from Windrose Custom Goods. Here's a preview of it all filled up:


Happy Planning!!

Her Royal Pinkness, Elizabeth I

No comments: