01 January 2020

Voyager Notebook

I've been a little MIA here on the blog the last few weeks, but there was a very valid reason. A couple very good reasons actually. First, it's the holidays. You know how things can get away from you during that time? Well, I'm no different. 😆 Second, I started a new job, interviewed for and got a second, which I start tomorrow. I'm really glad now that I started the planner journey last year and have some semblance of a handle on it so I can keep up with everything I have to do, and schedule time for what I want to do.

The Voyager Notebook

Which brings me to the title of this post. A couple weeks back when I was shopping for Pop at Meijer, a Midwest US store similar to Walmart, I had to swing past the stationery/office section as usual. I was debating on getting another Piccadilly dot grid journal for 2020, despite my work the past six months on my collection of traveler's notebooks.

While the selection is usually pretty pathetic, I saw a marked increase in journals and was pleased beyond belief. There isn't a selection of accessories, which is somewhat annoying, but for someone getting started or needing a journal for something specific, it is a nice increase in selection. Then on the top shelf, I saw this:
Voyager, a synonym for Traveler. HA! Available in four colors at Meijer, and a deal at $10.99 US, it's a perfect quick gift. The back of the barcode wrap says additional inserts and accessories are available at www.peterpauper.com. With my first paycheck from the new job, I went back and picked up the black and the blue during a BOGO 1/2 off sale.

Before I thought to take pictures, I popped my Genealogy inserts into the blue one. Oops. The up side for me is that The Voyager is similar in size to the handmade leather one I fashioned from a square piece of leather I picked up at Michael's last summer. Neither my handmade one or the Voyager is identical in size to a well known TN size. In fact I can't find any of the known size names that match this thing.
The cover is 4.625" x 7.75" (11.7 cm x 19.6 cm) closed. The inserts are 4.063" x 7.5" (10.5 cm x 19 cm). As I said, not a known size. In part this means that I have to make all my own inserts or purchase them directly from Peter Pauper Press. But I'm not going to lie; the price is right. 


For the low $10.99 price, you get the cover, three (3) 60-page inserts (dot grid, lined, blank), a jump band, and a zippered pocket insert. How can you not pick one up? The website has two additional colors, a bright burgundy and a purplish midnight blue. They also offer 2 packs of replacement inserts for $3.95 US, with an additional full grid style. Not sure about the full grid, but the dot grid is the standard 5 mm. Plus the paper is 80 gsm, thick enough to handle most pen inks.

The cover is definitely faux leather and the zippered pocket isn't the best quality, but all in all, it works in a pinch. The jump band and the elastic in the cover are much better in quality, although the black one I have feels too stiff. I struggle to pull it around the basic journal. The brown band on the light blue one is a perfect elasticity and gives enough to pull over all my genealogy inserts.

If you are interested in buying third party inserts for this notebook, I would suggest pre-made in the Personal size, or B6 depending on margins and cutting it down if possible. If printing your own, there are plenty of tutorials out there about printing for your size. I have found for some of these that I can print and cut however I need to. Full page layouts can be a bit tougher because you can cut off part of the layout in the middle pages. Test your printing as necessary.

No comments: