02 June 2019

Genealogy: Too Many Resources! So Curious!

When you start to deep dive into your genealogy research, it can be daunting. Trust me. I've been working on my massive family tree off and on for the last 15 years and the documentation is all over the place. I've been through at least 4 laptops and 3 desktop computers in that time, and I'm sure I've lost almost as much information as I've gathered. I've also probably conducted particular searches and saved specific documents multiple times.

That being said, pre-made forms are a great help in cataloging information and keeping track of your research. But in that, every amateur and professional genealogist and genealogy research website has their own version. I'm sure I've saved a copy of most of them. So how do you go from downloading the forms and determining which is going to be the best for you to use?



If it is a non-fillable pdf, do you print them out for each member of your tree?
  • I currently have over 22,000 individuals downloaded to my RootsMagic tree, with many duplicate persons I'm sure. 5-6 pages of forms for that many individuals?? That's a lot of paper!
Is the form a fillable pdf form or Word document?
  • That's still a lot of files, although digital, and file naming can be problematic.
Many forms seem all-inclusive, but it turns out you are filling out some of that information on multiple sheets, multiple times. Do you fill out parts of forms with "See file [filename]" and create a digital and/or paper trail rather than fill out entire sheets?

Whatever method you decide to use, you can find yourself restarting because your method of choice stops working, ceases to be efficient, or is just too cumbersome. For example, I saved digital copies of ship images and passenger lists for my my paternal great-grandmother Ida DUHN's arrival to the United States, but that particular manifest also lists her younger brothers, Otto and Erich. It also lists an older sister Lehne back in Germany and a 'cousin' in Fort Wayne, Indiana named Max BRAND that they were heading to meet/live with. How should I name these files? By the ship's name? The ship's arrival date? Should I list all family members listed in the passenger list in the file name so I can easily attach it to individual records? Do I save it as multiple copies inside multiple file folders for family groups? As you can see, the possible methodologies is staggering, and one method might work for a while, or it stops being the best method as you track more ancestors. You might even get caught up in life here and now, forgetting what method you previously used when you get back to it.

As I've said before, I have Attention Deficit Disorder, and physical files that I can move around and quickly scan visually are really helpful. But hand-writing the same information over and over again, or running out of printer ink and paper, can be quite time consuming. I think I've written my paternal grandparents and great-grandparents information into forms at least 5 times each at this point because for whatever reason, I've changed research methodologies too many times.

Whatever method you use, don't get as bogged down in the methods too much. Don't be OCD like me. :-) Find whatever works for you and just dive in. You will be amazed at what you find.

If you don't think genealogy research is interesting or worthwhile, have never looked into it, bear with me a moment...

1989 - Native American History: When I was a kid, about 4th grade, school had us learn about our local indigenous Native American groups. All across the state of Indiana, 4th graders were learning about the 'Indians' living in their neck of the woods at the same time. In fact, 4th grade is still the time when Hoosier kids learn about their state's history. As a result, I became enamored with the English translations of Native names, teepees, log houses, longhouses, dream catchers, pioneer ways of living, the history of the Old Fort. It was all so incredibly fascinating. I wished in my deepest core that I could share in that rich heritage.

1998 - Irish/Scottish/Celtic History: By my senior year, Michael Flatley had become all the rage with his Irish dancing phenomenon's Riverdance and Lord of the Dance. The music and the taps filled my heart to capacity when I heard it. I started listening to Loreena McKennitt, Enya, Enigma. Anything that could be considered white and red tribal music. The drum beats and the flutes made me soar. It was also what made me take stock of my suicidal tendency and say 'NO MORE'. (For the record, I haven't attempted suicide in all the years since.) I wished beyond hope for Celtic ancestry, to wear Celtic knots and jewelry without feeling like a fraud for wearing it.

2003 - When I met my biological father, I found out that his mother's mother was descended from an Irish-American family who came to America prior to the official birth of the country, and a man named William MAY, who may have been the first generation of the family born in America, even served in the Revolutionary War. Another line, CULBERTSON, was descended from Irish and Scottish royalty, including Robert the Bruce.

2007 - I reconnected with my biological mother's family upon the death of my grandfather. In the process of bonding with my bio-cousin/foster-sister, I was told that said deceased grandfather was born of a woman who was 100% Apache, but adopted by a German couple as an infant, one Florence Nevada SAAM. I was also told her middle name was not pronounced the same as the state, ne-VAH-duh. Supposedly, it was pronounced 'ne-VEY-duh'.

2015 - I found the History channel show "Vikings". I got hooked. But I wanted to know the stories and legends behind the incredible characters the show was introducing me to. After having thoroughly enjoying the Starz shows "DaVinci's Demons" and "Black Sails", I am quite aware of dramatic licensing for the sake of story line. I also have found that sometimes the reality of a person from history is more intriguing than what the script writers come up with. So I researched Ragnar, Lagertha, Bjorn, Rollo, Sigurd... etc., etc., etc. The amazingly forward and modern thinking the Vikings had in regards to women and their role in society! If I had Viking blood, not only would I feel pride when wearing my Celtic knotwork Mjölnir pendant, but it could explain my inherent devotion to the concept of female equality.

Present Day, 2019 - And lo and behold, I followed my family line right up the LDS maintained FamilySearch.org world family tree to find THE ROLLO OF NORMANDY. As well as Ragnar, Aslaug, Sigurd, and King Harald of All Norway, among others. I was quite floored and ecstatic.

I love carving, staining, building with wood. I have a line of family that was excellent carpenters.

I love sewing, specifically cross-stitching, and all types of cloth. I have a line of family whose professions were tailors and seamstresses.

I did in fact attempt to join the Marines right after high school. My lineage is peppered with individuals who served in the military in one fashion or another. But I also believe in peace and non-violence. Guess what? There's them peppered throughout the lineage as well.

I enjoy research and studying and education and learning. I've come across doctors and theologians.

Remember what I said before. In 20 generations, One Million, Forty-Eight Thousand, Five Hundred Seventy-Four people's DNA and experiences went into making you. There's a reason why you like what you like, do what you do, act how you act. It's either in your experiences during your lifetime, or it's connected to an ancestor.

Aren't you even the slightest bit curious?

No comments: