15 July 2014

In Which Life Gets In the Way of School

(Originally posted to Narrow Path Home Study blog on Weebly, now deleted.)

Life. Sometimes it is such a pain.
     Last night as I finished my assignments for my college week, I was concerned with the delay for Narrow Path lesson designing. Then today as I took into account the children's dismay at the Social Studies map assignment (SS9.2), I realized we needed a lesson on Map Use.
     I have spent the majority of today arguing with my son about doing his NP work and attempting to make a Powerpoint Presentation for a lesson on Map Use. At the same time, Dad threw his back out a few days ago and needed Victoria's help doing some of his clients' lawn mowing.
     These events threw the schedule for Science Project day all out of whack.
     The massive amounts of work I put into creating these lessons and the lack of perseverance in getting the assignments done simply reinforces the realization that my children hate to learn. They think that because it is summer, they do not have to do anything.
     This does not fully represent real life. At all.
The pace and amount of work they expect is probably what I will do once they start Connections Academy. I am concerned that they will not put any effort into completing their school work with Connections because they are at home. This fear may be unfounded, but it is a fear nonetheless due to their attitudes towards NP.
     I am thinking we will eliminate quite a lot of the weekly work from here on out anyway. I have reasons which are as follows:

  1. I work a nearly full-time job.
  2. Dad is just not into working with me on this.
  3. The children must be pushed to get anything done. He says get it done without offering assistance. I try to help them understand.
  4. I am trying to get a degree and have my own homework to do too.

     I am sure I could come up with more.
~Mom on a Narrow Path

No comments: